Hope, being Positive, and having Vision
Spend 1 hour to accomplish the work of an Apprentice.
Spend 1 1/2 hour to accomplish the work of a Journeyman.
Spend over 2 hours to accomplish the work of Master.
If you finished the inspirements from last week, WAHOO! You are awesome and are that much ahead in understanding about HOPE, being POSITIVE, and having VISION. Here are 3 inspirements for you to work on this week:
(If you didn't do last week's inspirements, do those first - see below I have listed them again for you).
1. Choose and memorize scripture: Study these scripture verses on HOPE that we talked about in class. Choose the one that moves you or that you particularly like. Write it down in your truth book. Memorize it.
- If ye have faith...nothing shall be impossible unto you." Matthew 17:20
- "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purposes." Romans 8:28
- "If God be for us, who can prevail against us?" Romans 8:31
- "...faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if you have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." Alma 32:21
- "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world...which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." Ether 12:4
- "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13
- "Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward." Doctrine and Covenants 6:33
- "Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth adn hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail." Doctrine and Covenants 6:34
- "Therefore, if you will ask of me you shall receive; if you will knock it shall be opened unto you." Doctrine and Covenants 6:5
2. Visualize living your Divine Purpose: Think about the long list of Spiritual Gifts and Missions (co-missions with Jesus Christ) that we talked about in class. Write in your Truth Book which ones seem to resonate with your heart. Which ones get you excited? Which of these can you see yourself doing? What does it look like for you personally to do these things? Dream a little and imagine doing some of these things in your life. Write about your hopes and aspirations in these areas. Here is the list again after the pictures:
- feed the hungry
- comfort those that stand in need of comfort
- clothe the naked
- free the captive
- share knowledge
- create beauty
- bring hope to the hopeless
- teach words of wisdom
- gift of tongues
- gift of translation of tongues
- heal the sick
- lift the down-trodden
- do acts of great faith
- work mighty miracles
- gift of administration
- testify of Christ
- believe those that testify
- behold angels and ministering of spirits
- build Zion
- spread Gospel of Jesus Christ
How these gifts and missions might look like in your life:
- humanitarian work near home or around the world
- befriending the lonely
- serving as a Bishop, Relief Society President, Young Women's President or Stake President
- raising righteous children
- leading a corporation
- starting a business
- writing a blog
- going on a mission
- becoming a mentor
- counseling others
- enforcing justice and the law
- gaining an education to become a: doctor, lawyer, teacher, engineer, artist, architect, scientist, entrepreneur, movie producer, poet, songwriter, carpenter, writer, cook, musician etc.
- lead an organization
- invent new technologies
- create inspiring art
- write books
- travel to exotic lands
- solve world-wide problems
- design temples
- do geneology work
3. Read the words of the Prophet about being positive here.
Take note in your truth book of your thoughts and impressions while you read this.
If you didn't finish the inspirements from last week, spend time this week working through them.
Here they are:
After spending time studying about these principles (see below), answer these questions in your Truth Book:
- How are these 3 principles (Hope, being Positive, and having Vision) related?
- What does having HOPE have to do with your divine purposes and life mission?
- Why is staying POSITIVE important in relation to fulfilling your mission and reaching your greatest potential?
- Why should you have a life VISION? How could that benefit you and propel you towards your dreams?
- Why would it be important to write down that life vision, record yourself saying it, and listen to your vision everyday?
Learn all you can about HOPE, including the following resources:
- Watch this talk by Richard G. Scott on Finding Joy .
- Read What do you hope for? from mormon.org
- Watch this video, The Power of Hope by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Learn all you can about being POSITIVE, including the following resoures
- Watch this video about the power of words upon water.
- Watch this video by Hillary Weeks about the power of words.
- Watch this Mormon Message video, Come What May and Love It.
- Conduct the Rice Experiment yourself . Here are some instructions. Give it a try for a few weeks. Bring it to class and share your results!
- Read this article from Deseret News from a recent BYU Devotional or listen to the devotional itself here.
- Start thinking about your vision for your life. What do you want to become and accomplish for the year 2015? For the next 5 years? For your whole life? Remember to NOT dismiss impossibilities - things that seem way beyond the scope of your reach. Dream! Imagine! Think of the Possibilities! Nothing is impossible with God! What are some of your greatest desires for your life???
- The following resource is a great place to get started thinking about your life vision: How to Create your Life's Vision